Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tax Day Thoughts

First, I'm proud to report I sent my taxes off more than 8 hours early.  For me, that's pretty good.  A couple thoughts:
  • most people got their Obama tax cut ($250) long ago.  Employees had withholdings adjusted while retirees got it in their social security.  But those of us getting the old Civil Service Retirement annuities didn't get it until we filed our returns.  
  • my wife won't agree, but I think we ought to be paying higher taxes. We're thrifty (a synonym of tight or cheap) so we don't live high on the hog and although our income last year took a hit, we still did well.  Of course, Comparing our income and our taxes, and remembering what we've paid in the past, I think the pendulum has swung too far.  (I'm sure Obama's deficit commission will agree with me.)

No comments: