Saturday, June 26, 2010

Gardening Update

Since I've carped at the White House for not being more open about its garden, it's only fair I should open up a bit about our garden:
  • it's in one of Reston's community gardens, all of which are located on top of a set of pipelines which run through the community. The pipeline right of way has to be kept clear of trees and permanent structures so it gets used for the gardens, some soccer fields, and the occasional parking lot. 
  •  the garden is required to be organic, ever since I started back in 1977
  • theoretically we've got a 20'x20' large plot and a quarter plot 10'x10'.  That's on the plat of the overall garden, but actually the 20'x20' is more like 21' x 16'.
  • we grow vegetables (the usual and a couple less common) and flowers (glads, dahlias, and sunflowers)
  • the pipeline had to be repaired 3-4 years ago, which mean a total disruption of our plot, both the raised beds and the soil--we're still recovering.  At least, that's my excuse for our garden not doing as well as others.  
I don't know whether gardeners are usually as competitive as my wife and I; at any rate it's not something one usually sees in the food movement's writings.

No comments: